Corinthian Teams Rule the Melges 24 European Sailing Series, Next Event in Scarlino in 3 Weeks
June 27, 2019 – Scarlino, Italy – Three of the total five events have been held by now to give the points to the 2019 Melges 24 European Sailing Series ranking: the first in Portoroz, Slovenia in April; the second and third in Italy on Garda Lake in Malcesine and Riva del Garda in May and June respectively.
Fifteen single races have been sailed in the series and two worst results have been discarded from the total points. In this ranking every race sailed counts and worst scores will be excluded after every six races completed.
Fifty-nine boats from fourteen nations have collected ranking points so far: Austria, Croatia, Denmark, Estonia, Great Britain, Germany, Hungary, Italy, the Netherland, Russia, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland and Ukraine.
Since the beginning of the season Estonian Lenny of Tõnu Tõniste took the lead of the series with the regatta victory from Portoroz both in overall and Corinthian divisions. Lenny kept its leadership also after the second event in Malcesine (8th in overall, 3rd Corinthian) and managed to remain on top of the ranking with an excellent result in Riva del Garda being 4th in overall and taking another victory of the Corinthian division.
On the provisional podium, both in overall and Corinthian divisions of the Melges 24 European Sailing Series, we find Italian Marco Zammarchi’s Taki 4 with Niccolo Bertola at the helm taking the second place ahead of Miles Quinton’s Gill Race Team with Geoff Carveth helming from Great Britain completing the top three. Fourth and fifth are respectively Italian Andrea Pozzi’s Bombarda, who made a great comeback to the class this year, and the reigning Melges 24 world champions aboard of Andrea Racchelli’s Altea – both teams are missing the ranking points from the first event in Portoroz.
Top 10 teams of the current ranking of the Melges 24 European Sailing Series (15 races, 2 discards, 59 entries):
- EST790 LENNY – Tõnu Tõniste – 68 pts – Corinthian
- ITA778 TAKI 4 – Niccolo Bertola – 86 pts – Corinthian
- GBR694 GILL RACE TEAM – Geoff Carveth – 92 pts – Corinthian
- ITA860 BOMBARDA – Andrea Pozzi – 127 pts
- ITA722 ALTEA – Andrea Racchelli – 128 pts
- HUN759 SEVEN-FIVE-NINE – Akos Csolto – 133 pts – Corinthian
- ITA854 MAIDOLLIS – Carlo Fracassoli – 140 pts
- ITA689 STRAMBAPAPA – Michele Paoletti/Diego Paoletti – 145 pts
- GER677 WHITE ROOM – Luis Tarabochia – 146 pts – Corinthian
- GER859 NEFELI – Peter Karrie – 174 pts
Tuscany is calling!
Next ranking points will be collected in one of the most beautiful areas in Italy, Toscana – Maremma, where the Club Nautico Scarlino will host the Melges 24 Italian National Championship event, valid as the fourth act of the Melges 24 European Sailing Series and Act 3 of the Italian Melges 24 Tour in three weeks – on July 19-21.
The Club Nautico Scarlino has conquered a special place in the hearts of international sailors and all sea and sailing enthusiasts. The beauty of one of the happiest landscapes in the Mediterranean, the calendar of top-level sporting events and the quality of courses, on drift or offshore, organized by the Nautical Club Scarlino are the components of a success.
Note – Early Bird entry deadline is July 8th.
After Tuscany, the fleet will move to Sardinia, to start preparing for the World Championship that will be held from October 5th to 12th in Villasimius, Sardinia. Final rehearsal for the Worlds will be pre-event in Villasimius on September 20th-22nd.
More information about the event and series available at melges24.com/europeansailingseries
2019 Melges 24 European Sailing Series includes five events in total.
1. April 4-7 – Portoroz, Slovenia – Marina Portoroz Regatta, 2nd Stage of the Melges 24 Alpe Adria Cup 2019
2. May 3-5 -Malcesine, Italy – Coppa Italia Franco Rao, 1st Act of the Italian Melges24Tour
3. June 7-9 – Riva del Garda, Italy – 2nd Act of the Italian Melges24Tour
4. July 19-21 – Scarlino, Italy – Melges 24 Italian National Championship, 3rd Act of the Italian Melges24Tour
5. October 5-12 – Villasimius, Sardinia, Italy – Melges 24 World Championship, 5th Act of the Italian Melges24Tour