In light of tomorrow’s International Coastal Cleanup day, travel money provider WeSwap today reveals the top five spots to ensure sandy footprints are the only kind you’ll be leaving behind. Tourism as an industry accounts for 5% of all greenhouse gas emissions and, in coastline destinations, water usage increases by up to 160% during peak season. In light of these statistics, WeSwap reveals its top five recommendations for eco-friendly coastlines, towns and places of interest, in addition to those that we need to hold back on until the ecosystem has some time to recover from heavy footfall and pollution.
- Bhutan – this nation is better than carbon neutral, having actually become carbon negative in 2017. With conservation built into its ideals, a holiday to Bhutan would be supporting a country that has made a name for itself as a green global leader.
- Switzerland – recently awarded the 2018 Environmental Performance Index, a visit to this gloriously landscaped region will be both aesthetically and ethically pleasing.
- Chile – if unveiling five new National Parks wasn’t enough, Chile has rejected mining projects because of their environmental impact and invested millions into solar power for the country.
- Marataba Trails Lodge, South Africa – these fully solar powered lodges, open to the warmth of the Marakele National Park, not only provide a luxury break but help protect endangered animals and national parks.
- Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas – when you think of ethical, environmentally conscious tourism, the first thing that comes to mind may not be Las Vegas. However, with eco-friendly cleaning products, organic food and building-wide energy saving measures, you can set upon the strip safe in the knowledge that your holiday hasn’t caused too much damage.
If you would be interested in speaking further with WeSwap with regards to ethical tourism, including discussing their recommendations for destinations to forego for now, please do not hesitate to get in touch.
WeSwap is the People’s Currency Exchange. We’re striving to remove all the stress, hassle and smoke and mirrors normally associated with currency exchange, for as low cost to our community as possible. WeSwap matches travellers up and swaps their currencies directly, avoiding the costly fees imposed by other services.
Having just won Best Travel Money Provider 2018, WeSwap’s people-powered platform helps travellers get the best rates of exchange – by way of a transparent 1-2% fee on the mid-market rate – along with a suite of tools to help travellers budget better and be more financially savvy when traveling. WeSwap stats from 2017 show people saved significant amounts by using the platform vs exchanging at notorious exchange hot-spots such as the airport. WeSwap provides users with a WeSwap Mastercard that can be used to load or spend local currency, withdraw cash or order before jetting off.