|Soriano’s Alegre are having a better regatta, back on the Tuscan archipelago arena where they finished second last year, now with Andy Horton calling tactics.
“This is my first time with the boat this week,” Horton said. “So I’m just getting to know everybody and meeting them all and learning the boat that we have and Andy the owner. I’m really impressed with all of them it’s a great group. So it’s pretty cool to meet a fresh group that’s really excited to go sailing and do everything right. Andy spends the time, he’s been here practicing. We did some little boat sailing before the 52 for two days, working out starting, hooking, pushing, all the moves that we do, and working on our vocabulary. It was awesome, it was very fun. That got us rolling as a team too for me to meet everybody. ‘Dog’ – Andrew Palfrey – planned that out. It was well thought out. We’re just chipping away and learning different styles of doing things and getting on the same page about it.”
Platoon have now scored four second places and just the one third from the five races sailed so far but have the world champions pressing them hard with two racing days still to be completed. Breezes are forecast to be stronger – up to 20kts – for Friday’s racing, remaining well within the favoured wind range of the Platoon. There is a nine point cushion between Quantum Racing and third placed Alegre, who in turn are just two up on Azzurra who finished sixth today.
Rolex TP52 World Championship Scarlino 2017
Standings after Day 3, Race 5, Coastal Race.
1. Platoon (Harm Müller-Spreer GER,), (2,3,2,2,2) 11 points.
2. Quantum Racing (Doug DeVos, USA), (1,2,8,1,1) 13 points.
3. Alegre (Andrés Soriano GBR/USA), (5,6,4,4,3) 22 points.
4. Azzurra (Roemmers Family ITA/ARG), (3,1,6,8,6) 24 points..
5. Gladiator (Tony Langley, GBR) (6,10,1,3,8) 28 points.
6. Sorcha (Peter Harrison, GBR), (7,4,3,10,10) 34 points.
7. Bronenosec (Vladimir Liubomirov, RUS), (8,7,9,5,5) 34 points.
8. Provezza (Ergin Imre, TUR) (RDG7,8,10,6,4) 35 points.
9. Sled (Takashi Okura, USA), (4,9,7,9,7) 36 points.
10. Rán Racing (Niklas Zennström, SWE), (10,5,5,7,9) 36 points.