The Dragon Boat Festival, also known as Tuen Ng Festival, is a traditional Chinese festival which pays tribute to Qu Yuan, a great poet in the Zhou Dynasty. It is celebrated across the globe on the 5th day in the fifth month on Lunar calendar. Hong Kong, as Asia’s World City with well-kept Chinese traditions, combines dragon boat races with exciting party elements and turn it into a 3-day, fun-filled carnival for everyone this summer!
Set against the city’s iconic skyline, the 2017 Hong Kong Dragon Boat Carnival will be held from 2 to 4 June at Central Harbourfront. To celebrate the 20th anniversary of the establishment of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, the scale of the Carnival will be expanded, featuring exciting dragon boat races, food and beer, music and local cultural elements.
This year, UK team, Purple Warriors will be taking part in a bid to become champions of the Harbour. Purple Warriors is a registered charity and was created only last year solely for members of UK’s Armed Forces (serving and retired) who have some form of physical, psychological or neurological impairment. The club aims to use the power of the sport of dragon boating to inspire recovery, support rehabilitation, and generate a wider understanding and respect for those who serve, and have served, with HM Forces.
Dawn Page, Director, UK and Northern Europe, Hong Kong Tourism Board, said, “The International Dragon Boat Races is one of the biggest sporting events in the Hong Kong calendar. It’s great to see such a historical event with so much cultural significance still celebrated with such rigor today – this festival perfectly represents the way in which old and new ways of life combine in Hong Kong.
“It’s fantastic to have a British team taking part,” she continues. “We know that months of dedication as well as physical and mental training is required in the lead up to the event and so we wish the Purple Warriors team the very best of luck.”
Highlights of this year include:
- International dragon boat races in the heart of the city:
- Over 5,000 passionate paddlers from Australia, New Zealand, UK, USA, Canada, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, The Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Mainland China and Hong Kong will compete for a total of 27 championships at the famous Victoria Harbour.
- Fun and creative races:
- A special obstacle race “Red Bull Dragon Roar” and the much-loved “Fancy Dress Race” will be staged on 4 Jun.
- Music, beers and food trucks all in one place:
- For the first time, 14 food trucks will gather at the venue presenting local delicacies, including the festive rice dumplings. Together with concerts and beers, the Carnival will create a party atmosphere for all.
Come and join this party with boats, beers and cheers in Hong Kong!
About the Hong Kong Dragon Boat Carnival
|Date||2-4 June 2017（Friday to Sunday）|
|Programme Highlights & Schedule||Ÿ CCB (Asia) Hong Kong International Dragon Boat Races:
2 June (Friday) – 12pm to 5:30pm
3 – 4 June (Saturday and Sunday) – 8:30am to 5:30pm
Ÿ San Miguel BeerFest:
2 June (Friday) – 1pm to 10pm
3 – 4 June (Saturday and Sunday) – 10am to 10pm
Ÿ Food Trucks Gala
2 June (Friday) – 4pm to 10pm
3 – 4 June (Saturday and Sunday) – 1pm to 10pm
|Venue||Central Harbourfront (The auditorium is near Central Pier No. 10.)|